Thursday, October 15, 2009

Fitness Challenge

"Ok so I'm really doing it this time..." heard that before? said that before?

Like most of America I've struggled with my weight for some time, but not just my weight, overall fitness is the issue. What good is it to lose weight if I'm not gaining muscle and strength at the same time? There are all kinds of diets out there, and I've tried just about all of them and lost up to 40lbs... then gained it all (or more) back. I've also had some small level of success by trying to motivate myself at the gym but it always seems temporary. I'd spend a good two weeks hitting the gym every other day, walking through, picking a machine and working out til exhaustion, move to another machine and repeat. I never really had any guidance or structure so after 2 weeks I would fizzle out on my dedication.

So what now? how do I get out of this stage and move on with my life? I've never known what it's like to be fit (forget thin, I'm convinced that's unattainable for me). Would love to be able to make some kind of change that lasts and that I can maintain.

A few weeks back I ended up stopping in to a place I've driven by multiple times called MAS (Movement and Strength). Walked in and asked what they were about, talked to Will who told me that they focus on core strength and movement (like the name duh...) he said it would be better to show me what they do and offered a free session for the next day. I went to the session and he kicked my butt! I was sore for 5 days afterward, but the point is that I realized the difference between going it alone and having a professional guide you.

Skip over the next 4 weeks which included a vacation to Maui and coming home to a backed up workload.

Tuesday this week we finally had the chance to stop back by MAS and I pre-paid for 1 month of training

Zoom forward to today (first session)
My first session went great, Will kicked my butt again even though it wasn't as intense as the first training, it was just as good, we worked on different areas and I feel like it was a total body workout. We focused on isolating and combining muscles with compound movements... it was great!

Feeling good after the training and am focused on getting fit through training and smart eating.

Now the starting weight: 306.5 (per the scale at MAS)

I'll update as often as I like to :-)

Here is a link to the MAS website (not done by us) and while it does suffer from an oversized logo and other design issues, at least you can see the place I'm talking about.
http://movementandstrength.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment